Wednesday, August 21, 2013

DIY Newborn Photoshoot

Similarly, to the photos we took of our boys and "the belly" before #3 arrived, I turned to Pinterest for some newborn photo inspiration (or "Pinspiration"). I knew I didn't have the time, money or desire to have a professional capture some of these moments, but I knew I wanted to have plenty of memories of when our last little one was arrived fresh from God, so tiny and precious.

The hospital offered a photography service whilst we were there to capture those early days, but with someone bringing me food, making my bed, no other children underfoot, and a baby who loved to sleep, I took the opportunity to take some hospital shots with some Pinterest photos for inspiration.
Pinspiration

My Shots



I had seen lots of the bump-baby-name photos below on Pinterest but since we didn't know if we were having a boy or a girl, nor were we 100% set on either a girl or a boy name, we ended up taking photos of "the belly" with the blocks spelling out boy, girl, baby and about 5 different names for each! These are the shots that didn't get deleted after our baby girl, Kyah arrived.
Pinspiration


In those early days home there seemed to be a lot of time to take photos - maybe because my husband was home and wrangling the boys. Poor Kyah was posed for a new photo every time the poor little girl went to sleep. My photos are on the right. (Note: I knitted the hat!)


Sibling shots were high on my agenda and there were many that I wanted to capture in those first few days. Sometimes they worked out and sometimes not so much. Everyone was tired and adjusting to a new little person in the house and not always wanting to cooperate for Mumma taking photos. These next photos were taken just on my iPhone (because sometimes I just couldn't be bothered with the full kit-and-kaboodle of the DSLR. As you can see the "stacked-siblings" shot was far more successful on attempt #2 when Kyah was a few months old and not a few days old.
Pinspiration

My shots

There were so many cute sibling photos to try to emulate.
Pinspiration

My shots

And I just had to try for the train-heart shot. I found it difficult to get the complete heart in the shot with my portrait lens, and my #2 boy wouldn't cooperate for the photos. But I still got some cute shots of Kyah and her biggest brother.
Pinspiration

My shots

A dad shot was also high on my priority list and one random afternoon I shuffled the family outside to re-create this Dad-Children-Tower shot. Of course, I loved so many of the photos I took that day, I had to include 3 of my favourites below. I just love the changing expressions on the boys faces.
Pinspiration

My shots

The photo taking may have slowed down now but I am still looking for adorable photo inspiration (or "Pinspiration") and trying to emulate them. I don't always have my beautiful Nikon DSLR and sexy lens handy, and sometime I just have to seize the moment with my iPhone. Sometimes with a little post processing and editing it turns out magic.
Pinspiration

My Shots (via iPhone)

I hope this has inspired you to get snapping some pictures of your kids - they may not be professional and polished, but they still form beautiful memories of these years that are just flying by.

No comments: