Friday, January 10, 2014

Old Fashioned Egg-Flip

Old Fashioned Egg Flip Recipe to the Rescue for 2 sick little boys

Six days of strep throat, roaring fevers and extreme lethargy has left my poor boys with no appetite. Even when they are hungry, everything except milk and water hurts their throats. I have been watching the weight slide of their already slim little frames and been increasingly concerned about getting some food into them given all the panadol, nurofen and antibiotics they are consuming.

Enter my wise mother who suggested an egg-flip. I remember always having egg-flips when I was sick as a kid, and also before our 5am ice-skating lessons. What is an egg-flip - milk, an egg, vanilla and ice-cream.

The kids loved it (though I didn't tell them it had a raw egg in it - I thought that may turn them off). I just told them it was a milkshake. Win! They loved it. And I got some protein into them without a fight and without their little throats hurting. Double Win!

The ingredients:
Milk
Egg
Vanilla (or caramel works well too)
Vanilla Ice Cream

The Recipe:
Combine all ingredients in a Tupperware Quick-Shake Container, and shake. Make sure you shake REALLY well to ensure the egg is  thoroughly broken up and mixed in. You don't want a slimy string of egg white rolling into your mouth!
Serve.

The Result:
Today it was a win! Frothy, milky, vanilla shake with a hidden egg. Sssshhhh! Don't tell them.

Old Fashioned Egg Flip Recipe to the Rescue for 2 sick little boys - Sshhhh don't tell them there is egg in it!

What have you found successful to get food into your kids when they are so sick?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here is my mums take on this:
- Get a blender (any kind will do)
- Fill 3/4 of the container with the ice cream
- Add the egg (2 if its a large container for multiple drinks)
- Fill the rest of the container with the milk
- Add in 1 cap full of vanilla essence
- Blend to desired thickness (I preferred mine part way between a milkshake and thickshake)