Friday, January 27, 2012

A Hungry Little Caterpillar Party

For my son's 1st Birthday/Christening we had a Very Hungry Caterpillar party. I first came upon the idea on none-other than Pinterest! Of Course! And was inspired and excited to make my little guys party lots of fun. First order of business was the invitations, and thanks to my sister's advise of printing them out as photos, they were amazingly vibrant and colourful!


Then it was onto decorations. A "Happy Birthday" bunting in Hungry Caterpillar theme, and lots of caterpillars made from various materials - cardboard, paper lanterns and pom poms. And of course some of the decorations were also inspired by the book with glass vessels filled with the fruits eaten in the story.




I loved the idea of trying to cater for the party according to what the Little Caterpillar eats in this classic children's book. So we had cupcakes and watermelon, cheese and salami, cherries (in lieu of cherry pie I just presented the cherries in a pie-dish!), loads of fruit and I made some delicious fruit ice-blocks for the kids (again inspired from Pinterest). For the birthday cake I made a Scandinavian Almond Cake with Cream and Berries (as my Mum is gluten intolerant) which represented the caterpillars head, and then made chocolate and vanilla cupcakes with green icing for the body. I also dusted the cupcakes with edible glitter which I got from Something for Cake to give them a little extra glitz.


I made up cute green striped lollybags (also purchased from Something for Cake) with Hungry Caterpillar stickers (from the Eric Carle Museum), Wiggles biscuits and jelly snakes and sour gummy worms.

All up I think the party was great. I didn't get around to doing a lot of the things I had planned - such as asking my 3 year old son to hide the pom pom caterpillars we had spent a day making together around the garden for the kids to find (no matter the kids had fun destroying the playroom and the caterpillars will be an extra something to go in with the thank you cards).Nor did I get around to kaing photos of the dessert table before the kids got stuck into it! Nor did I put feet on the caterpillars as my son kept pointing out to me!



But my little caterpillar had a great time and I think the party was a success. If not exhausting!