Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Mandarin Magic

Late on Saturday night (or maybe it was in the wee hours of Sunday morning) whilst I was editing photos from one of the gorgeous newborn shoots I had in the previous few days, I came a cross a Facebook post about mandarin picking around Wisemans Ferry. As you will know from previous posts, we really enjoy picking our own apples.

So on Sunday morning we loaded into the car and headed to the Watkins Family Farm for some DIY Mandarin Picking. It was set in the most beautiful valley and the weather was divine! I was a little concerned that we were late in the season and perhaps there wouldn't be many mandarins left for picking. I needn't have worried. I was concerned that whist Kyah would enjoy roaming free in a orchard, she may get frustrated at not being able to pick the mandarins herself. I was even worried the boys wouldn't be able to reach the high fruit if all the low ones had already been picked. I needn't have worried.

We had an absolutely fabulous time. Everyone got to pick a heap of fruit! And eat it too! There were also mushrooms to pick, and chickens, goats and sheep to feed, and best of all, a tractor to sit on. We ended the day with lunch down at Wisemans Ferry and the boys loved watching the cars being driven onto and off the ferry and seeing it go across the river. It was a wonderful Family Funday Sunday.

Here is my photo essay.


The Details:
Watkins Family Farm
1006 Singleton Rd, Laughtondale (Near Wisemans Ferry)
You only pay for the mandarins and mushrooms that you pick. No entrance fee.
Imperial Mandarins
$10 per bucket for Mandarins
$10 per bag for Mushrooms
Honey and eggs also available for purchase
It took us 1.5 - 1.75 hours from Sydney's Northern Beaches.

No comments: