Tuesday, July 3, 2012

High Tea Baby Sprinkle

Way back in May I hosted a small intimate Baby Sprinkle for my sister who was expecting her second baby, an adorable little boy, Aidan, who was born with a full head of gorgeous black hair just like his big brother.


As I live in a small townhouse, we were very limited on numbers, so we decided to host a High Tea with just family. Pinterest, immediately became my source of inspiration and it did not disappoint for invitations, for menu options and for decoration ideas.


We decided our menu would have a mix of savory and sweet - bruchetta, smoked salmon roulettes, mini sandwiches and quiches, macaroons, mini lemon meringue tarts, mini scandinavian almond cakes, mini chocolate hazelnut tarts, ANZAC slice and rum balls. My Mum, sister and I had a huge cooking day before the shower to have all the food prepared, and I was making decorations for about 4 weeks before the sprinkle. We had a huge range of teas on offer - black, green, raspberry and lime, nougat. It really was a smorgasbord of tea and so I created some cute little "tea-bag" labels for the teapots describing each of the teas.



I was so lucky to borrow from my mother-in-law her beautiful bone china teacups and saucers. Some were hers, some her sister's, some her mother's, and even some her grandmother's! Together with some beautiful lace tablecloths and napkins, and some bone china platters and teapots I borrowed from my grandmother, the table looked stunning. I loved the mismatch of gorgeous bone china teacups, the mix of lace and linen, and the used tea tins for vases.



I had imagined hydrangeas and orchids for decorations, but instead found some gorgeous roses and peonies, which turned out stunning. Paper pom poms, twine wrapped vases, and a photo-line of guests baby photos formed the rest of the decorations.


We had some great favor bags for guests which included little jars of home-made lemon butter, curash baby samples and a small tub of delicious niyama maychang ylang body butter. They were pretty awesome favor bags, if I do say so myself!


We asked guests to bring a book to add to the Baby's library in lieu of traditional baby gifts, given that Shey already had most baby gear from her first son, Elliot. Shey went home with a treasure-trove of classic children's books, a bag of baby-products, lemon butter and body butter, and a wonderful afternoon of memories. All up it was a wonderful afternoon of women celebrating Shey and her soon to-be second baby. Great food, great teas, and great company. What could be better!


No comments: