Friday, May 25, 2012

31 Days To A Better Photo

So a couple of months ago I participated in "March Photo A Day" challenge created by FatMumSlim author Chantelle. I enjoyed the challenge of finding an image to capture each day which fitted with the daily prompt word. But I had gone into the challenge thinking it may help me improve my photography skills. It definitely gave me many opportunities to photograph objects, scenes, and people I may not have otherwise snapped, but I don't think it helped me improve my photography skills - outside of iPhone-ography that is and some of my Photogene and Instagram editing skills.

After my husband gave me my digital camera 4 years ago, and at 8.5 months pregnant with our first son, I did take a beginners class - Digital photography 1: How to use a Digitial Camera in Venice, LA. I learned a lot in that class, but over time I have found myself relying more and more on the "digital-vari programs" of my camera rather than shooting fully manual or even just using the other advanced modes. And really when that is the case, why am I using a DSLR at all? I remember saying to my husband whilst viewing my cousins amazing photos of his trip visiting us in NYC, "Having children has really killed my photographic flair and abilities."

However, thanks to my sister's beau, Djordje, and a family trip away which included a spectacular evening sky of stars, I have been more and more playing with shooting manual. Sometimes this works, sometimes it takes me 10 minutes to get all the settings right, and then I find I may still have shots that are a little under- or over-exposed. In short, I need to learn more about my camera and the basic photography principles again.


Pinterest, of course, has also helped re-inspire me. I have stumbled across a myriad of "How to" pins over the past few months - "The photography tips 96 photographers wished they learned sooner", "Photography cheat sheet for exposure, shutter, aperture, ISO & white balance", "Advanced tips for sharper images", "The rule of thirds" - the list continues.

Then I came across this pin.




I read around this website for a couple of days (during our week long home-imprisonment thanks to whooping cough's cousin para-pertussis). And I decided to see how it went - after a recent rejection to volunteer on a school board (how humiliating) I decided my brain needed some extra stimulation.
So here it is. My 31 days to a better photo.

Day 1: Welcome
When did you realize how much you loved photos? What motivates you to love your images?

I bought my first SLR in high school and started taking photography as an extra-curricular subject. I LOVED watching an image I took come to life on the paper during processing in the dark room. It was the closest I had ever come to producing real magic. I truly loved that feeling.

A neighbour lent me her box of lenses and filters and polarizes. I played for hours with the different effects each created. I remember setting up a photo shoot with my younger sister (who was, and still is, adorable). I had my parents hold venetian blinds in the sunlight so that I could capture all the shadows on her face. I still remember the feeling of capturing those shots. Freezing that moment with my sister. I wonder where that photo is now...

After school I saved up and bought my first Nikon. An F65. I was in love. For 10 years I took that camera everywhere. I refused to switch to digital. I loved film. The magic - even if I wasn't the one processing the film.

But I did switch. The year my son was born, my husband gave me my Nikon D80. Now I was in love. Instant gratification. Unlimited number of "frames". I could shoot anything, anywhere, as many times as I wanted - and immediately see which to keep and which to trash - of course unless the image is completely black I rarely trash anything (I'm a little OCD about that).

I love portraits. Of my sons. Of my husband. Of my family. I love capturing emotion. Freezing a moment. Or better yet, freezing many many consecutive moments so that if I flick through them fast I can see the movement of those moments. I love seeing my sons' beautiful blue eyes, smiling or crying or thinking or singing. A good shot for me has magic eyes. Is full of emotion.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: